Wednesday, November 21, 2007

One more day...

OK, so this day last year.

1a - Awoken by contractions again. Walked a lot, watched a little TV, slept.... not at all.

6:30 - Dan wakes up and asks if he should stay home again. I replied with, "No I'm sure it's nothing. This feels just like yesterday and I don't want you to waste another day off. Go to work." He says, "OK, but call me if you need me."

10a - Contractions subside a little and I get a nap.

3:30- I'm on the phone with my friend Katie and my sister Sarah. "Do you think I can take anything just to make myself a little more comfortable? I can't believe I'm going to have to live like this until Friday. This kind of hurts." Both of them say, "Why don't you just call the doctor and see what they say." "I don't want to do that. They are just going to tell me to go to the hospital and the hospital will send me home after a couple of hour. That is really embarrassing and I just don't feel like anythings changed." They finally convince me to call the doctor and sure enough I'm off to the hospital.

4p - My sister Sarah picks me up and away to the hospital we go. I don't even think I brought much with me I was so convinced they were going to send me home.

4:30p - They don't send me home. This is actually happening. I call Dan and tell him to come home. But drive slow he has plenty of time.

Somewhere in here they break my water. I swear you could have surfed on that stuff.

6:30p - Dan arrives and I kick Sarah out. Sorry Sarah. I don't want any grief about other people not being able to be there.

10p - Pitocin drip started due to lack of progress. Apparently because of all the extra fluid Quinn's head wasn't pushing down to help speed things along. It was still floating. Imagine that. I still had more fluid in there?

11:20 - I finally break and ask for pain meds. The poor lady had to get out of bed and come to the hospital just for me. Sorry.

11:40p - I rest comfortably intermittently chatting with my husband and puking my guts out. Who knew, I think I was having a reaction to the pain blocker.

2a - I start pushing.

3:09a - My little man is born.

Today I put Quinn up on my shoulders.

The second I do he uses his incredible pincer grasp and starts pulling on each little strand of hair on my head.


It was actually quite amusing. I've seen him do this to other people and always laugh. Well, never fear, today I got mine.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quinn, as I look back on last year I looked on this site and it said you had arrived! I was so excited. Then I checked back later to see if there were pictures and my excitment changed to worry.I remember calling your Aunt Karra who was on her way home to make sure that she was ok because she was not there with you. I quickly congratulated her on being an Aunt and then told her to keep me posted on you. I thought about you every day hoping for updates and for every happy one I was happy, and for every scary one I was scared. But as the days turned into weeks, and weeks turned in to months I knew that you were a strong little boy!
HAPPY 1st Birthday Mighty Quinn!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Love Erin

Anonymous said...

Dear Quinn

I'll see you in a few hours at grandma's, but I wanted to wish you a happy birthday. Your first year was certainly a rough ride, but you got through it with great results. I know you won't remember any of the pain and worry, and that's good.

I am still very proud of your mother and father. I never saw more love and support between two people. You are a very luck young man.

I hope to spend more time with you as you grow up. We'll go fishing, hiking, biking; all that stuff. See you at your 1st birthday party.

Love You
Gandpa Dan

Kilroy_60 said...

It's been a pleasure to follow the first year. I wish you many years of good health and joy.

Anonymous said...

HELLO LITTLE PRINCE!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY WE ARE ALL SO HAPPY THAT YOU ARE SHOWING EVERYONE WHAT MIGHTY QUINN MEANS. STAY STONG BIG GUY AND KEEP THOSE SMILES COMMING!! KATHLEEN FROM FRANCE IS STILL KEEPING YOU IN HER PRAYERS. AND WE ALL WISH YOU A WONDERFUL THANKSGIVING AND A VERY HAPPY HEALTHY BIRTHDAY. GOD BLESS YOU LITTLE QUINN. AND THANKYOU YOU FOR SHOWING SO MANY PEOPLE THAT MIRACLE S DO EXIST !!! KATHLEEN S SAID GOD HAS VERY SPECIAL PLANS FOR HIM. LOVE FROM FRANCE KATHLEEN AND FAMILY.