Friday, October 12, 2007

On my way home

I'm spending the day in Dubai with a flight out this evening to the US. What a fascinating culture. The last country they rode elephants, and here it's camels. As soon as you get into the airport, you see all the shopping plazas and restaurants, but there's also nice cloth tents with pillows and rugs inside. I guess some people prefer that to lounge chairs. I'm so tempted to buy sheik robes but when the hell would I ever wear them right? Although, when you see what I bought you honey, you might ask me the same question. Anyway, I have a few pictures, and at your request I'll try and get them on here. One possible issue is that there's free drinks at all times in business class travel, and they are letting me mix my own. So I'm trying to ignore that I may be half in the bag.



The place would make a decent tourist destination with all the thousands of years of history still visible and intact. But all the fighting. I got a little insight into some of the political agendas behind the battles. Every war has them. And it's best I just keep my comments off of here. I do wonder if the value of human life is something that is learned, or unlearned as we grow. Are some people just born evil bastards or what.



Every time I got nervous about what I was doing I always thought about my family and how important it is that I be smart. Then I'd look over and see these guys working. I know they have kids and they are trying to provide for them. But if they ever refused or were reluctant to do something because it was unsafe, they were fired that day. They made roughly ten US dollars a day regardless of the workload. Yes the cost of living is lower than the US, but for them, prices are going up by the day and wages are not.

They also had no equipment and needed to borrow not only our tools, but our strength as well. Thank god for Rickety and his raw determination. Of course, he did hurt his back and had to walk even more bent over for a week.


I tried to imagine how these guys felt having to guard a couple of clowns like us 24:7. At night they would have to rove around the compound. And late at night we were usually having the local whiskey brew and laughing to lighten our spirits, but I always felt bad when I'd look at them. Anyway, no video this time because I haven't taken the time to upload one. I'll see you tommorow honey. If Quinn isn't looking like he wants to make a drive to Providence two days in a row, especially after having another medical procedure, just have Marsh or someone come and grab me.

3 comments:

Kilroy_60 said...

Travel safely and have a great reunion!!

Unknown said...

I am so glad you are on your way home to Quinn and Steph. Have a safe trip. I do have to comment about the human life I often wonder the same thing and I think it is a learned trait that we pass on to our children. When you look at the other countries and their value on Human life it seems we Americans value it more or at least to me it does.
How did Quinns procedure go today Steph?
Tammara

Anonymous said...

DEAR QUINN. DID YOU KNOW THAT YOUR MOM AND DAD LOVE YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH.. AND IM SURE THAT THE INTERVENTION YESTERDAY WENT BETTER THAN ALL YOU WENT THRU IN YOUR YOUNGER DAYS . THANK GOD THAT YOU HAVE ONLY THIS SITE TO REMIND YOU . AND WHAT A GREAT SITE !!!LITTLE PRINCE .. ENJOY YOUR DADDY WITH YOUR MOMMY YOU GUYS ARE A REAL INSPIRATION OR IN FRANCE WE LIKE TO SAY REAL PEOPLE !!! GOD BLESS AND HAPPY HOMECOMMING LOVE . JOMI ., KATHLEEN S MOM