Thursday, November 16, 2006

More thoughts

Thank you so much for all the comments. I thoroughly enjoy reading them. The Cisneros family brings about an interesting point of view that I've been pondering. The whole pregnancy process is easier on the man. We can tune it out if we want, and focus on other things and not have a constant moving and kicking reminder with us all hours of the day. There's no question it's easier for men. Being a guy rocks. But I don't think it's an entirely accurate assumption to say that I calm my own nerves by simply not thinking about the baby coming. In fact what I should have said was that the more I think about it, the more excitement and happiness I feel rather than nervousness or concern.
One of Stephs favorite conversation pieces for me is to hit me with every hypothetical question she can conjure up about what if our kid does this or that or causes all manner of chaos. And I humor her every time and answer each scenario. But I think the thing we all have in common as good caring people, parents or not, is that we know what values we admire and think are important. And from what I've seen, the biggest difference between good parents and mistake prone parents, is patience and conviction to the values that make them good people. And whenever I do feel nervous, it's from hoping I can keep that in mind when the going gets tough. I've seen kids give their parents strength. Every parent I know has talked about how children open your eyes and give you focus. Beneath the surface, Steph knows better than to worry about things she can't control. And I think she has every reason to be a very confident mother to be.
Jess, it will be nice to see you and show off my new son. You can spend all the time you want with him, but he can't see you on a dance floor until he's old enough. Kristin, your vote of confidence is always welcome, confused or not. You talk about Mary testing your ability as a parent as if it's all in the past. You're going to have a teenage daughter someday. I'd like to see a blog about that.
Also, I must apologize to anyone who thinks I am rambling. Sometimes I wonder if you all just come to stare at belly pics. I don't get to communicate as much as I'd like with the important people in life like friends and family. It's mostly the people I work with. But I am constantly thinking about this kid coming. I may not have nerves of steel, but I am trying.

4 comments:

Steph and Dan said...

Honey, I think your wonderful. I love what you've written. It even helps put things into perspective for me. I'm so glad I married you, your brain and heart never disappoint. I love you.

Your wife

Anonymous said...

How can I top that post from your wife, Dan? I can't. I'll just say thanks for bringing up something I've not really thought of yet:

If Mary gives me half as much trouble as I gave my mother as a teenager, I'm in trouble!

The Cisneros Family said...

So now here it is the LONGGGGG comment post from the cisneros family... It's so funny to think, because I can remember those times right before we were parents, that ya'll will look back at those times and laugh seeing yourselves as young kids who didn't have a clue what life was really about. I do have to say that what you're thinking is accurate but it's in the actual experience where you'll really understand why parents do what they do and why so many of the things you're talking about are important. And if you have any nerves of steel, you will lose all of them when your little boy is placed into your arms for the first time... He'll melt your heart and you'll never forget that first moment when you became a daddy! I hope I get to see the picture. And Steph, GREAT JOB TO YOU! KUDDOS! (whatever that means:) ) I bet that has to be such a burden lifted off of your shoulders. And I'm glad that your okaying the little boys arrival now because it wont be long. P.S- Our new baby will be placed on the back burner for now. We are in the process of buying a house and then immediately afterwards buying an investment property to FLIP! Yep that's right, we're going to be like the people on TV making 'millions' buying flipping a house. It's not hard is it? (dumb blond head bob) Okay, I'm a little delirious now at 1am trying to get some seller's disclosures scanned and sent....I should use your email address next time instead of the comment section of you blog- sorry! G'night!

Anonymous said...

Holy crap, who left open the rambling jar?

*poke poke* I think this rambler is still alive.

Someone should have just hidden this whole blog thing away from me.