Fortunately, Quinn is in a relatively healthy state and can afford to hold off on heart surgery. Grandparents made the trip up to Boston to be with us in the family waiting room, only to be turned back after an hour into the operation. The doctors will be deliberating on the next move over the next couple of days while Quinn is monitored. For now, the doctors will leave in the multiple lines and respirator inserted for the operation. So he doesn't look as he did this morning.
Steph will not be breast feeding him again for a while. She must go back to her painfully familiar pump. Quinn will be back on IV nutrients until they can figure out what the deal is with his stomach, and then the operation will happen which further prevents breast feeding. This morning, she and I spent some final moments with him before he went off to the O.R.
I'd have preferred to have gotten this over with, but with what happened, we'll have to wait and see. We're both thankful nothing big went wrong. Steph's frustration at what he's having to endure is mounting, but she keeps herself together very admirably and intelligently. The support from friends and family, and good people we've never met have been mounting also. So I'll complain about nothing, and keep hoping for the better days ahead. I still think my son is in the best situation, given his circumstance.