Saturday, December 30, 2006

Stuck in Boston

As it turns out, there are no open beds for Quinn at Women and Infants hospital in Providence. So we are stuck at the Children's hospital in Boston at least through the New years. Besides being conveniently closer to home, Providence will be the place where they will find out what is wrong with his digestive system. So getting him there sooner would have been ideal so the staff there could begin getting to know him. And it would be one step closer to allowing him to breast feed.
Quinn is on a third shift schedule. He has most of his energy between about 2am and 8am. It is between those hours that his temper and frustration are on full display. Typically I volunteer to contend with the screaming baby throughout the night, and Steph goes to the parent sleep area in a different section of the hospital so she can rest. When he's not happy (who could blame him), he really lets me have it with the crying and thrashing. If only patience grew on trees. I've had to learn some creative tricks to get him to calm down, but no combination of things works every time.

Quinn with dad.


And after a good night of exertion, Quinn with mom.


I know good rest for mom is part of what helps produce a healthy amount of breast milk. Steph's supply has been decreasing. I really want Quinn to be a breastfed baby. I have to thank her for sticking with a breast pump every three hours over so long a stretch. It seems such a thankless and painful thing to have to do so often, but she rarely ever complains.

Two days ago, Quinn had the last of the leads from his old pacemaker removed. The doctor just pulled them out like spaghetti noodles. His heart is wire free now.



He also keeps getting stronger and better looking. Still has the blue eyes.


I am eager to get him to Providence where they will begin researching the possibilities for correcting his intestinal problems. His luck and supportive prayers have been great thus far. But his fortunes will need to continue for him to be able to eat like a normal baby. If his duodenum doesn't recover from the repairs the doctors can perform, he could be eating through a tube until a better way of fixing the problem is discovered. That's a gentler way of saying his whole life, because Quinn has taught me optimism like never before.
I have wanted to reply to so many of the comments people have been leaving for Steph and I. New and old friends, family, and many of you whom I am unacquainted with. I wish I could meet all of you who have been offering any form of comfort for us. This kind of support for a family during hardship is a rare thing. It has made a difference for me and helped me approach things the way I need to, and I'm quite certain I speak for my wife on that.

What I can do is honor some requests for more videos and pictures. I leave you with a video of that singing nurse from the IV teams that hounded Quinn for the first month of his life. He was less than a week old and tough as nails. No one could get a line into his little veins.


3 comments:

Kelly said...

Steph - I have all kinds of advice on how to increase supply!! We had trouble with that. There are some herbal supplements you can take. Fenugreek Seed helped me overnight. I found it cheapest at www.doctorstrust.com but you can also get it at whole foods and other "healthy" stores. 3 pills, 3 times a day. It was recommended by our pediatrician, and it's an old trick of wet nurses.

So sorry to hear that Quinn has to wait - we're praying that you'll get to Providence soon.

Much love,
Kelly

Anonymous said...

Good morning Quinn. It’s New Years Eve, Dec. 31, 2006. I’m glad I came up to see you and your Mom and Dad yesterday. The thought of the long drive was much worse than the drive itself, even if your Aunt Sarah got us lost getting out of Boston, AGAIN. Trying to see street signs after dark is real tough. But, with my sharp eye sight, that mean I have to squint a lot, and the aid of the navigation feature in my cell phone, we made it out of the city. I’m soooooo looking forward to when I can get lost in Providence.

I must admit, your looking pretty good, even though you were sleeping most of the time. By the way, that nurse that brought in your milk was pretty cute. I noticed you looking at her when she walked in. I also noticed you went right back to sleep when she walked out, but this time you were smiling.

Well, you take it easy and try to give your dad a few minutes of rest at night. I’ll see you again in Providence, where I hope they can deal with your intestines without a surgical procedure.

Keep the heart pumpen. Keep the pooper poopen. And keep the smile a smilen.

Grandpa Dan

Anonymous said...

Good morning, Quinn, and almost a happy new year! I am so thankful that you will be celebrating this new year with us (actually, the part of my family that has the most handsome men..! and women, of course!) I spoke with your aunt Kristin last night and she assured me that you are looking strong and looking good! That's doubly "GOOD!". Yes, you have a slew of people on the other side of the world praying for you too, and God is so good! Just hang in there and he'll get the right people to you that can fix you up to a 100% working condition! You have amazed me so much since you arrived..you have shown me that strength is really not in how big a person's body is, but it is in his ability to endure. I can't wait to see you and the rest of your clan! hang in there, baby! May God continue to lay his healing hand on you!

Love and prayers