Monday, December 11, 2006

Quinn the entertainer

Quinn has had dozens of visitors since his surgery. And I enjoyed everyone's company. Unfortunately for him, it takes energy to be so adored and stimulated by numerous visitors. I like people seeing him, but when I think about what the doctors did to him only a few days ago, I had to limit the number of people by his bedside. And everyone has been most respectful and understanding. As was evident from Quinn's behavior, excitement and increased heart rate throw off his oxygen levels that he's been maintaining so well. Very soon, when he is healed a bit more, he will be as playful as ever.



His overall swelling has gone down, and he is more awake. Over the weekend, he's had the probes going into his heart and his breathing tube removed. He is still on the pace maker, as the attempts to take him off of it led to his heart stopping momentarily. I try not to be nervous about the possibility of him having to be on a permanent pace maker. But if that's the worst thing that comes out of this, I'll be glad. Today was the first day he was given milk again, but his bowels aren't moving well enough to handle it. The doctors say Quinn will have to ween off of the narcotics a bit more and try again later to eat. Without the pain meds, he has many bouts of angry crying day and night. I still like hearing him cry. I know it's good for exercising his lungs and clearing out his airway.


I know he has plenty more pain to suffer through, and I wish there was more I could do than just watch him. But I don't lose sight of the fact that he is getting better with each day. I don't need any reminder of how lucky he is to be alive. He's well on his way to being another happy success story for today's doctors.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is so wonderful to see his bright eyes. I am so happy he is alert and you can enjoy his facial expressions. He is just beautiful.
Lot's-o-Love,
Toby

Anonymous said...

It must be hard to think about Quinn having the pacemaker permanently. But think of all of the fun you, Uncle Marsh and Uncle Joe could have with it as he grows up.

"Tick-tick-tick...like ziss?"

Kristin

Tracey said...

It's so wonderful to see Quinn's little face with wide open eyes!! He's adorable, and I still think he looks wise beyond his years (weeks), even if he doesn't have the old chinese man thing going on anymore.

Thinking of you often!!
xo
Tracey

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful baby. It is great to see him looking so alert. I think about you all often and say prayers daily.
Jane

Anonymous said...

Wow, look at the life in those eyes. You look much better than you did on Sunday when I visited with you. Not that you looked bad, but you look much better now. I think it is the absence of the tube in both nostrils that has done it. You’re looking good with just one tube, just think how good you’ll look with no tube up your nose.

By the way Quinn, see if you can do something about the lights in the bathroom. You might not know it yet, but they turn on and off by a motion sensor. The women don’t seem to mind it much, being seated and all, but when we guys have to use it, turning out the lights takes on a whole new meaning, or should I say sound. After all, without light, all you have left is to hope the sound stays constant, if not, well lets just say wet socks is not the preferred option.

Here’s to you kid
And to Mom and Dad too.

Love and Kisses
Grandpa Dan

GoQuinnGo! said...

Woo Hoo! My Mighty Quinn!!!!!!! I love you! Check out all your friends sending in their support.

Dan, the ref lited Quinn's hand once. It fell back to the mat. He lifted it a second time. It fell back to the mat. He lifted it a final time and was about to call the match, when Quinn's hand stayed up, his forefinger pointing to the sky above.

WOO HOO! My Mighty Quinn!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys-- Quinn is looking so great. I cry everytime I look at your site, but am so thankful that you are able to share you fight with everyone.

We are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you three. Prayers are with you. I pray for Quinn.