Friday, December 15, 2006

Some comforting

Sorry we haven't been as good about posting everyday lately, we don't want this to concern people. As Dan mentioned Quinn is still not able to pass food through his system, so we spend a lot of time trying to keep him comfortable and asleep (at which time we've actually seen him smile, I really hope he's dreaming about food :)). Being held seems to be what comforts him the most, that and sugar water, so we spend most of our waking hours just holding him.




I have pictures of Dan holding him that I will post later. I haven't been able to download them as Dan is sleeping on the cable I need ;)




Of course this make posting, and doing much of anything else a little difficult. I do want to reassure people that Quinn is doing well (as are Dan and I). The doctors and nurses all keep saying how good he looks. We are also trying to give him little touches of comfort as well (hospital issue of course, to try to keep germs away, but they're nice). We have managed to get three bears, socks, a blanket, a hat, and a Christmas decoration for him. It's kind of cute to see him with all this stuff.






I think we need to learn how to post videos because Quinn makes the best faces. I'll try to contact my friends Shawn and Kelly and see how they do it, they always have great videos on their site. We also want everyone to know how much we appreciate their continued support. The cards, the packages, the visits, the comments, the phone messages, the websites (and pictures people send to them), and blog posts have all been so wonderful. I have a secret for everyone, I think that Dan and I look forward to all your comments on our blogspot as much as you all look forward to our posts. Dan looks for comments about as often as some of you have expressed that you look at this site per day, but don't tell him I told you that. I was looking at a new friends website today. Her daughter was born three days before Quinn was. On her site she has pictures of her daughters first bath. The baby looks so comfortable just floating in all that water. I just can't wait to do that with Quinn. These are the things I've been thinking about lately. I know we still have a little way to go before all of this is behind us, but it's been very helpful in getting me through lately. I think about being able to look over and see him sleeping in the pack n' play we have set up by our bed, being able to pull him into bed with me until he quites down when he's crying at night, being able to wear him around the house (a very wise woman bought me a sling to carry Quinn with, I call that wearing him), being able to let him work his muscles by trying to stand on our legs while we hold him, just being able to hold him without having to position about 10 IV lines, cord, and wires. Most of all I just look forward to seeing him in our home visiting with friends and family. We love you all and thank you so much for just being out there and thinking about us. OK, it sounds like our little man is waking up, so my posting time is up for now. Take care of yourselves, we can't wait to see you all.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sweet Steph, it was so good to read your posting. Dan, you do a wonderful job and your postings have really touched my heart. By Steph, you will always be my loved "other daughter" and to hear your "voice" in all of this brings tears to my eyes. I am so happy that you are able to hold and comfort Quinn. I think that must bring as much comfort to you as to him. All of those normal things that seem so precious to you WILL become part of your routine and will be more of a gift because of these very difficult days.

God is holding you close. I love you,
Mrs. Cherry

GoQuinnGo! said...

Steph, if it would help, I can stand on your lap and you can try to help me balance for now.

I practice with Dan all the time. Sometimes he lays on his back on the floor and he helps me fly like superman above him. Then we spend the next half hour cleaning his pants and administering CPR.

Really though Steph, I check out the comments about once every other hour or so too. Can't blame Dan for it. I think our mom's National Enquirer addiction kicks in every now and then. HAha!... YIKES!

Anonymous said...

Hi Steph,

Soooo good to hear from you. Quinn looks very handsome....ok damn cute!! We will be up to see you guys soon. If I remember right, didn't you start this blog site??? Keep it up Steph. Love you much. :-))

Pop

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Steph, for posting the pictures of you holding Quinn! I've been waiting to see that and it is so comforting to see his beautiful eyes! Isn't he just the cutest! (Sorry, Dan, you were also cute when you were his age, but I believe Quinn's got my vote in that department now!) You're still cute tho', right Steph? Anyway, let me post this so anyone else reading it will just add to one more person praying for you all: Heavenly Father, thank you for being the loving God that you are. Thank you for the doctors and the rest of the caregivers in little Quinn's life. I lift up Dan, Steph and little Quinn this morning. I pray for your healing touch on Quinn's whole little body and that you will continue to strengthen and nourish this family with your love and blessings. Amen..

By the way, does anybody know how I can get a hold of my sister? Really need to talk to her! Have her call me on my cell: (319)931-2323. Menlau!
Hugs to you,
Aunt Nik

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update! I am so glad to hear that all of you are doing wel. Big hugs and kisses!
Aunt Justine

Anonymous said...

Stephie and Dan,
Quinn does look good in those pics...and I have to be honest I don't think I could handle all those wires and tubes the ways he has... (the truth is I 'm a big baby) and Quinn seems to handle things with much grace.
BTW, I think Dan should become a writer, maybe write a book about this whole experience. I truly think he has a gift there....or maybe he could mass produce romatic cards to help other men out? (he he) I'm sure he's gonna teach Quinn to be quite the ladies man..
Take care of you three!!!!
And may many blessings be in store for you!
Love,
Joba

Anonymous said...

Dear Steph: It was so good to hear your "voice" today! I know you've been very busy being a mama!

I'm so glad to hear that holding him seems to be comforting to him. That's right where he needs to be right now. Now once you can manage some skin-to-skin, that will be THE BEST!

I wish they had a recliner or something so you could both doze together???

Prayers, prayers and more prayers!

Love, Robin

Anonymous said...

Gosh you guys put a smile on my face every day!! As I'm running back and forth finishing up final exams, it is nice to take a moment to sit here in Minnesota even and experience such a refreshing and overwhelming love - I so enjoy reading all the updates! I am always encouraged by your sweet spirits and strong hearts. I hope you have a truly beautiful day!!

Much love and many prayers,
cousin becky (auntie nik's kid...;)

Anonymous said...

Steph and Dan,

I love the pics of Quinn's cute face! He's so beautiful and I love seeing you hold him Steph. I just wanted to send a quick hello and tell you both that I am thinking about you three. Keep us posted.

love - Suzanne

GoQuinnGo! said...

Soooo... Am I going to be standing on someone's lap or what?